Have a question? Check below to see if we have answered it.
If you still have a question, feel free to contact us.
Is the CommLab like a writing center?
Yes, but so much more! In addition to consulting for essays, research papers, and other documents, we also on provide feedback and guidance on presentations, PowerPoint, public speaking, group projects, and anything else writing and communication oriented.
How do I know if I need to use the CommLab?
You can always drop by to ask. We consult with students during all stages of a project's development, from brainstorming at the beginning to refining at the end. It's never too soon to book an appointment with us.
What do I do if I'm having trouble making an appointment for myself?
You can always call or e-mail the center directly and we can help you make an appointment.
Can I print a poster at the CommLab?
Yes, the CommLab offers poster printing during scheduled times. Students can sign up to have their posters printed in person at the CommLab. The policies are as follows:
- Before scheduling a time to print their poster, students must first attend a scheduled half-hour appointment with a consultant to review their poster draft. This appointment must take place at least one day before their scheduled printing time.
- When students finish their appointment, they can sign up for a poster printing time at the front desk with a Center Assistant. Posters cannot be printed on the day of the appointment.
- Students should return to the CommLab during their scheduled poster printing appointment. The consultant in charge of poster printing will then ask the student to pull up the file of their poster on a CommLab computer. Students must remain in the CommLab during the poster printing process.
- Students should find out the required size of the poster from their instructor ahead of time. When they come in for printing, the student should inform the consultant of the required size of the poster, along with the dimensions of the poster as currently designed so that the consultant will know if any adjustments need to be made.
- Poster printing is not offered on days when the CommLab is closed (for holidays or under unforeseen circumstances).
How do I make an appointment?
Look at our appointments page.
Can I drop in without an appointment?
Absolutely. We welcome drop in visits at any time. If there are consultants available, we can work with you right away. If there are scheduled appointments ahead of you, you may need to wait until a consultant is available.
How do I cancel an appointment?
If students need to cancel an appointment, they must do so on TutorTrac at least 24 hours before their appointment is scheduled to start. If you need to cancel an appointment less than 24 hours in advance, please contact us by phone or in person. The online system locks students out from making changes after that point, but we can still make changes for you. On occasion, we will cancel sessions due to frequent cancelations or tardiness by students, requests of tutors, or other extenuating circumstances.
Can I come in more than once per day? Or, once per week?
While we ask that you visit only once per day, you may book two appointments every six calendar days. Check with your consultant to see what other options may be available.
What do I need to bring to a session?
- Your assignment sheets
- Your project materials
- Your note-taking utensils
- Your wonderful self (and any teammates that are interested)
How long are the sessions?
Sessions are 30 minutes each.
Who can be consulted at the CommLab?
All consulting sessions are for undergraduate and graduate students only. No sessions are currently offered for faculty, staff, or post-docs.
Can my instructor be my consultant?
Unfortunately, you cannot reserve a consultation with your class instructor. Other consultants will be available for you. You should speak to your instructor about visiting them during office hours.
Is there a charge for appointments?
No, consulting sessions are free of charge.
Hours and Location
When are you open?
We are open:
- Monday through Friday 9am-5pm (in person and online)
- Monday through Thursday 5pm-8pm (online only)
We are closed for student holidays (Labor Day, Fall Recess, Thanksgiving, etc.).
Can I use the bean bags just to hang out and work?
If you have an appointment, are waiting for a consultant, or want to finish up some work after a session, you are more than welcome to hang out in the Naugle CommLab. We strive to have a good atmosphere!
Can I use the work spaces that are just outside the CommLab?
Yes, those spaces (breakout rooms and rehearsal rooms) are for your use.
The rooms can be reserved by students at Georgia Tech's Reservation System.
Are you open during the holidays?
No, we are not. What a surprise...